Chancellor of George Jackson University
The Chancelor of the George Jackson University is the chief executive, administrative, and education officer of the community college district and derives authority from, and is responsible to, the GJU Board of Trustees. The Chancellor's primary responsibility is to provide vision for the University and continuous leadership and direction for the planning and operation of all aspects of the GJU's programs and services in conformity with GJU Board policies, rules and regulations.
More specifically, the Chancellor is responsible for:
1) Developing and implementing a progressive and community-responsive GJU philosophy, including a comprehensive strategic plan that details the institutional mission, vision, goals and objectives, priorities, and resources for the current and long-range needs of the GJU;
2) Developing, maintaining, and evaluating the academic programs and student services of the GJU and creating a climate, both inside and outside, that enhances student learning, stimulates creative approaches to teaching and learning, and motivates faculty and students to optimum achievement;
3) Developing and maintaining an appropriate administrative organization to ensure effective and efficient management of the GJU and its resources;
4) Recommending policies for Board action, and implementing those policies adopted by the Board;
Developing and maintaining a personnel operation that includes the recruitment, selection, development, evaluation, and continuation of all GJU staff and faculty;
5) Preparing, recommending, and administrating the annual operating and capital budgets as approved by the Board of Trustees;
6) Maintaining and making efficient use of existing institutional resources, and creating new resources;
7) Providing for effective internal and external communications, including keeping the Board informed, and representing the GJU to the general public;
8) Ensuring the preparation and submission of all reports required by the Board and any local, state, or national agencies which may be required for us to maintain our operations;
9) Representing and actively participating in appropriate promotional efforts at the local, state, and national level to advance the interests of the GJU;
10) Delegating to appropriate staff, faculty, and committees powers and duties listed above as the Chancellor and Board, in concert, deems appropriate for the administration of the GJU;
11) Exercising the discretionary power necessary to ensure the continuous efficient operation of the GJU, and deciding all other administrative matters not outlined above and for which no specific provision has been made by Board policies;
and performing any other duties assigned or delegated by the Board of Trustees.